Top hats have been the most dominating and sophisticated hats in the world of fashion. They were incredibly popular headgear once upon a time. Currently, they are limited to period films and costume parties. The narrow brims and the high crowns are distinctive features of a top hat. Top hats were in great demand because of celebrity endorsements and diverse social developments. Top hats reached heights or pinnacles of glory and gradually faded into obscurity. The places or occasions to flaunt your top hat are very few and certainly far between. Top hats are limited to the nation’s formal dress codes. You may need to wear a top hat at Royal Ascot, weddings, investitures, galas, balls, operas, and other formal events that necessitate a white tie and a morning dress.
According to Wikipedia, top hats are tall, flat-crowned hats for men conventionally related to formal attire in the Western dress code, implying a frock coat, morning dress, or white tie. Traditionally, these top hats were made of rich black silk or grey. Top hats were introduced in the Western fashion circuit around the last phase of the 18th century. Top hats were referred to as cylinder hats, high hats, or even toppers.
Avoid wearing an inferior quality topper hat. Use only top-quality toppers and avoid wearing inferior-quality hats so that people do not assume you are wearing a costume. Inferior toppers draw instant attention from even a mile away. Always choose a good quality top hat to match your dress and suit the occasion. However, even a top-quality top hat may ruin your entire look if it is of the wrong size or fit.
How Can You Attain The Perfect Top Hat Fit?
You may attain the perfect fit by following the tips below:
- Use a soft measuring tape and drape it all around your head. Make it a point to place it straight and approximately a half-inch above the ears.
- Measure in inches or centimeters, and consider the accurate measurements to determine your perfect fit and hat size.
In this context, experts point out that a perfectly fitted top hat should be resting a half-inch above the ears comfortably. Moreover, a top hat should be strategically placed straight.
What Are the Different Types of Top Hats?
However, It is a common belief that all top hats are available in one distinctive style. However, the truth remains that there are at least six different top hat styles or types. You may choose the right top hat to flaunt at a particular event. Some popular types of top hats are:
- Black silk or Melusine top hats
- Black silk or cloth opera top hats
- Grey silk or Melusine, or fur felt top hats
- Black silk or fur Melusine riding hats
- Black fur Melusine or silk top hats with mourning bands
- Black wool felt top hats for mourning
- Black fur Melusine or silk livery top hats
What Are the Dos & Don’ts of Wearing Top Hats?
- Do keep your top hat sparkling clean and shining. Once you own your prized top hat, shower some TLC from time to time to maintain the pristine sheen and overall polished appearance. Use a soft velvet pad to polish the hat surface until the authentic glossy sheen is revived or restored.
- Do wear your grey or black top hats without any colored ribbons or other adornments. Avoid custom-tailoring your top hats.
- Do remember not to use top hats as make-shift champagne buckets.
- Do not consider drying your top hats on your car’s radiator when your top hats get wet. You should stick to drying your precious top hats naturally in an airy and warm environment. Do not consider drying your top hats over a direct source of heat, as that can end up distorting the hat’s original shape.
- Do not place the top hat ever on its head. When you are placing your top hat on any flat surface, your top hat should be placed upright, and the hat’s brim should lie flat, touching the flat surface. This helps in preserving your top hat in pristine condition. Crowns are susceptible to wear and tear and damage. Once your top hat starts getting worn out, it will be challenging to restore or repair the prized top hat.
How to Choose Top Hat Colors?
Remember that top hats for men are usually available in black. However, you may opt for grey or brown top hats. You may choose to wear the contemporary top hat style in grey and made of rich expensive fur felt. Black is ideal for a more formal look. You can wear a top hat in any color tone to complete your look when paired with tails or a morning suit for all occasions.
Top hats were a global phenomenon and at the pinnacle of fashion once upon a time. Even though they are associated with the past, top hats truly represent your prestige, personal style, honor, and authority!