Neurological conditions have increased tremendously all around the globe but with a high recovery rate. Undoubtedly, neurological disorders are some of the most disturbing diseases that people can develop. Treatment for such conditions takes a lot of expertise, time, hard work, effort, willpower, treatment sessions, physiotherapy, etc. Muscle weakness, paralysis, convulsions, disorientation, discomfort, and poor coordination are just a few of the symptoms that can be caused by a range of disorders in the brain or spinal cord.
But before continuing with any treatment it is necessary to undergo proper screening, diagnosis, and assessment protocols. Without appropriate assessment, no treatment protocol could work for the betterment of the patient. Aside from the question of a cure, patients with neurological conditions occasionally undergo rehabilitation to regain some lost function.
Treatment options for neurological diseases include-
- Cyber-knife: This is a non-invasive, painless type of radio-surgery that is very advanced. It operates by precisely targeting high radiation doses that are delivered by a robotic arm, with the goal of eliminating tumours inside the body. The robotic arm’s flexibility enables it to access bodily parts that can’t ordinarily be treated by other methods, such as the spine and spinal cord.
- Interventional neuroradiology: In interventional neuroradiology, catheters—tiny, flexible tubes—are inserted into the arteries supplying blood to the brain. This enables the physician to address blood vessel conditions like stroke that can harm the nervous system.
- Medical treatment: Medical care is the main treatment for neurological problems. The type of disease determines the course of treatment. The range of therapy possibilities includes corticosteroids, medications that reduce inflammation, treatments that influence dopamine, etc. It is crucial to realise that a neurological illness typically requires long-term therapy, and potential medication side effects must be taken into consideration.
- Physical therapy: The advancement in physical therapy has been doing wonders for patients with neurological deficits. It plays a vital role in the rehabilitation and progress of neurological patients. Physiotherapy works in maintaining neuromuscular coordination, strength, endurance, and stability. It involves gait training, re-education of muscles that have been paralyzed, etc. It has proven to be highly effective for such patients and is generally advised by every physician or neurologist these days. It helps in maintaining the quality of life!
- Outpatient Neurological Rehab: Patients and their caregivers may occasionally believe that the demands of inpatient care are either too great or impractical given their personal circumstances. In situations like this, outpatient neurological rehab and treatment programs may be a better treatment option. A patient in this type of therapeutic treatment program will frequently report to an outpatient clinic for a certain amount of time to receive the prearranged therapy while maintaining a stable domicile.
- Lifestyle modification: Some neurological disorder treatment consists of putting your patient on a specific diet. Symptoms of some disorders can be greatly reduced by reducing carbohydrate intake and increasing fats and proteins. Also, regular and adequate exercise is a must for neurological patients to have better results.
- Neurosurgery: Many neurosurgeons work toward the betterment of a patient’s life. Though surgery is considered the last option for treatment but in complicated neuro conditions going for surgery may be the only way to save the patient. This field is growing daily by finding safer and better surgical methods to improve patients’ quality of life.
- Deep brain stimulation: People with psychiatric illnesses including obsessive-compulsive disorder and movement disorders like tremors, Parkinson’s disease, and dystonia can benefit from deep brain stimulation. It entails inserting electrodes into specific brain regions. The exact mechanism of DBS remains unknown. But, it is speculated that the brain’s specific cells and substances may be impacted by the electrical impulses.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy: Although the neurobiological impacts of cognitive behaviour therapy are not well understood, it is successful in treating a variety of mental diseases. CBT encourages new learning, emotional and behavioural modulation, and thought modification.
- Family Counselling: One of the most important protocols in the management of neurological patients is family counselling. Proper guidance and education to the family to take care of the patient and maintain the quality of life is explained. The prognosis of the disease is well explained and tips are given on patient management to their families.
Nevertheless, treatment for neurological conditions has been widening its scope to great lengths. A lot of research has taken place regarding neurological disease treatment. All these treatment methods have resulted in the benefit of the patient and working towards their betterment. Working on the signs and symptoms apart from the cause is the basic idea while planning any treatment protocol. The goal of accurately identifying and diagnosing a neurological problem is to win the patient’s approval to explore and start treatment. Do not delay approaching your neurologist and seek treatment as soon as possible.